History of Saskatoon Convalescent Home


The original Saskatoon Convalescent Home was situated on the corner of 31st Street and Idylwyld.  It was owned by the Commonwealth and Continental Church Society and was used as a residence for single women attending normal school.  In 1942 the building was rented for the purpose of establishing a Nursing Care Program.  In May 1959 the Saskatoon Convalescent Home Society was formed as a charitable non-profit organization entitled to Government grants and charitable donations.  The Society purchased the Home in 1963 and encouraged interested persons to purchase a membership.  These members were given the opportunity to elect a Board of Directors yearly to oversee the operations of the Home.  After years of planning a new Saskatoon Convalescent Home was constructed on adjacent lots to the original building and fifty residents moved to the new building the fall of 1983.

The Saskatoon Convalescent Home is an affiliate organization of the Saskatoon Health Region.  There are fifty-nine permanent residents who reside in the Home.  One room is reserved for respite to accomodate individuals who live in the community and require short term admissions for up to thirty days.  This bed allows for planned relief for caregivers and needs to be booked in advance through Client Patient Access Services.